Cyber Essentials is a simple, yet very effective scheme backed by the UK Government. It is designed to help protect companies, regardless of their size, against a huge range of cyberattacks.
Cyberattacks come in various shapes and sizes but most are incredibly basic in nature. They are typically carried out by individuals who are not skilled – this can be compared to a thief trying the front door to see if you have left it open. Cyber Essentials offers a good level of protection against these unsophisticated attacks.
Scope of Cyber Essentials
Cyber Essentials covers six core areas to provide a basic level of protection against cyber-attacks:
- Using office firewalls and Internet gateways
- Maintaining secure configuation of your computer equipment
- Keeping software up-to-date
- Controlling user accounts
- Restricting use of administrative accounts
- Protecting against malware
Cyber Essentials or Cyber Essentials Plus?
There are two certification options to choose from:
- Cyber Essentials, requiring the submission of a self assessment to the certification body.
- Cyber Essentials Plus, which is verified by an external auditor who will also carry out a network scan.
Why do I need Cyber Essentials?
There are many reasons why you might want to gain Cyber Essentials accreditation for your business:
- Customers feel assured knowing that your IT is protected
- Attract new business
- Determine your organisation’s security level
- Comply with the increasing numbers of contracts stipulating Cyber Essentials as a requirement
What happens if you’re not covered?
Your business may be left vulnerable and open to attack without the basic protection included in Cyber Essentials.
Many believe that criminals only target big companies, but this is not the case. Smaller businesses may be consciously targeted because of their limited budget and not having the tech required to put up adequate defences.
Ultimately, it is important that customers are given the peace of mind and confidence to work with your company safely. Cyber Essentials is the best and easiest way to show that you meet an industry standard and it may even help you to win more customers.
To speak to one of our experts about how we can help your business gain Cyber Essentials certification, get in touch today.