Windows 10 is Microsoft’s operating system that was released in 2015. Following on from the relatively unsuccessful Windows 8, Windows 10 has become one of their most popular products ever. The popularity of Windows 10 is only set to increase after Microsoft recently announced the end of support for their Windows 7 operating system.
This means that by January 2020 you should be using Windows 10. Otherwise, you’ll be a major cyber security risk to yourself and your business. Microsoft offers you three different licenses for Windows 10 that have a wide range of features and costs. This guide will break down each license to help you choose which is right for you.
Windows 10 Pricing
Windows 10 Home
Benefits of Windows 10 Home
- A speedy start up process and Windows Hello on compatible machines. Windows Hello allows you to sign in password free with facial and fingerprint recognition
- Windows Mixed Reality for exploring new worlds, going to top destinations, and playing immersive games with new virtual reality technology
- My People for easy access to key contacts, drag and drop sharing and sending animated emojis
- Windows Ink for creating lists, sticky notes and drawings, writing directly on your screen, and working smarter on Office documents
- 4K gaming, DirectX 12 graphics, Mixer broadcasting, and a more intuitive Game mode
- Paint 3D and Remix 3D for seeing 3D creations in your world, or enhancing photos, videos and Office documents
- The reimagined Photos app for creating videos with soundtrack, transitions, 3D effects, and Windows Ink
- Microsoft Edge for longer battery life, 4K Ultra HD and Dolby Audio, and organizing the web your way
- Cortana, your personal digital assistant for smarter and voice searching
Perfect for – A single home user. Windows 10 Home is the cheapest package Microsoft offer and comes with all the features you need to get started with Windows 10.
Windows 10 Pro
All of the features of Windows 10 Home, plus:
- Get built-in protection from security threats at no extra cost with BitLocker, Windows Defender Antivirus and more
- Access all your files, folders and apps from virtually anywhere on any device with remote desktop
- Choose deferred updates so you can decide when and how to update your devices
- Connect to your school, business, or corporate network via the cloud with Azure Active Directory
- Create and run virtual machines with Hyper-V
- Make use of powerful management tools for single sign-on and more control over your devices
Perfect for – Small businesses or single users needing enhanced capabilities. The built-in protection with BitLocker allows your data to be encrypted automatically making you much more cyber secure. Remote desktop allows you to log into your machine from anywhere in the world.
If you want to be cyber secure and have access to files anywhere this is the license for you.
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
All of the features of Windows 10 Pro plus
- Resilient File System (ReFS) designed for high fault tolerance and handling large data volumes
- Persistent memory to access files fast – at the speed of your computer’s main memory
- Faster file sharing with features that offer increased throughput with low latency and low CPU utilization
- Ability to run high-performance device configurations with expanded hardware support
Perfect for – Teams or users that need the highest level of functionality. This license allows you to handle large data volumes with fast file sharing, which is great if you work with a lot of videos and highly detailed images.
Ultimately the decision is up to you and a lot of it will come down to the budget you have available. The main point is that by Janaury 2020 you must have upgraded from Windows 7. Have any questions about any of the windows products or Office 365? Ask below and we’ll get back to you straight away.